Certified Maintenance & Reliability Technician
The Certified Maintenance & Reliability Technician (CMRT) program is the #1 credentialing program for the knowledge, skills and abilities of M&R technicians. Assessing more than just textbook knowledge, the exam tests and validates the skills and abilities of maintenance and reliability professionals according to the objective Body of Knowledge (BoK).
Earning one of these qualifications means earning a coveted credential recognized across all industries in the manufacturing world. CMRTs are multi-skilled individuals whose expertise is primarily mechanical in nature as opposed to instrumentation or electrical.
Earning this coveted qualification means earning a portable credential recognized in the manufacturing world across all industries. Get CMRT certified today!
- How long is the exam? It is 175 multiple choice questions and examinees have 3.0 hours to complete the exam.
- Can I take the exam as a computer-based test (CBT) at my convenience? Beginning in spring of 2014, the CMRT will be available in English at any one of over 400 centers in North America and over 650 locations globally. CBT Examinees will receive a preliminary exam result immediately upon completing the exam
- How do I study for the CMRT exam? While SMRP does not publish a CMRT exam study guide, it does provide a number of helpful Exam Study Resources. It is recommended that applicants review the CMRT Candidate Guide for Certification and Recertification. This guide offers information on how the exam was created and provides 10 example questions.
- How long will I have to wait to get my results? Your SMRP staff aims to mail CMRT exam and electronic exam results by regular mail by 4-5 weeks after the exam date. Note: the address the candidate puts in the application is where the results will be sent!
- What happens if my results are lost in the mail? Examinees will receive one mailed hard copy of their exam results. If results are not received by mail, examinees will be instructed to download electronically a printable results letter and, if earned, a certificate.
- Can you tell me my results over the phone, by email or fax them to me? Unfortunately, we cannot. It is against SMRP policies to notify examinees of their results over the phone, by email or fax.
- Can my company or manager request and receive my exam results, even if they had paid for the exam? No. SMRP policy states that only the candidate can be notified of their results. Though we appreciate company support of the SMRP certification program, our policies are in place to protect the confidentiality of the candidate’s results.
- What do I receive if I am successful or unsuccessful on the exam? Successful examinees will receive a congratulations letter, which includes a graph indicating strengths and weaknesses in the four domains in the maintenance and reliability Body of Knowledge for technicians: Maintenance Practices, Preventive and Predictive Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Analysis and Corrective Maintenance. Unsuccessful examinees will receive just a notification letter.
- If I’m unsuccessful on the exam, can I retake it? Yes. But examinees must wait at least 6 months to retake and pay an application fee.
- Is the CMRT exam offered in any other languages? Not at this time.
- When I apply for certification, am I also applying for SMRP membership? No. Sustaining Sponsor employees pay a discounted certification application fee of $195, but this does not include the fee for membership. Other non-member applicants pay a $300 fee, which as well does not include the fee for membership.
- How long does my certification last? To maintain their certification, CMRTs must recertify every three years. It’s an easy process that can be done online. Further details can be found in the CMRT Candidate Guide for Certification and Recertification.