SMRP encourages individuals to form affiliated chapters to help grow membership and to promote and advance maintenance, reliability and physical asset management at the local level. Offering networking, education and leadership opportunities, SMRP Chapters provide career development for professionals at every point in their career.
If an SMRP Chapter is not currently established in your area, please consider starting a chapter. Please review all of the information below and use the attached documents to begin the process.
Chapter Formation Process
Individuals must complete the following steps to begin chapter formation. Official formation approval cannot be granted until both the pre-approval and post-approval steps are accomplished. SMRP presents approved chapters with a signed affiliation agreement upon completion of all requirements.
Pre-Approval of Chapter Formation
Upon completion of steps one through seven, the SMRP Board of Directors will vote to determine if a forming chapter may continue the formation process.
1. Complete the Chapter Formation Interest Form
- Only an SMRP member in good standing may begin the chapter formation process
- SMRP staff will review the interest form and then notify petitioner with next steps
2. Hold an initial interest meeting
- Conduct outreach in your local area to create interest
- SMRP staff will distribute an email invitation to members within the geographical area
3. Collect a minimum of 20 signatures on an online petition (supplied by SMRP)
- The petiton must only be signed by SMRP members in good standing
- The petition must have representation from at least four companies
4. Request volunteers for a steering committee (up to five) and have them sign the Volunteer Leader Commitment Form
5. Draft and adopt chapter bylaws signed by the steering committee
6. Draft a Letter of Chapter Formation Request and have the steering committee sign the document
7. Submit the following documents to SMRP staff for review with the petition:
- Chapter Bylaws
- Volunteer Leader Commitment Forms
- Letter of Chapter Formation Request
Post-Approval of Chapter Formation
To continue formation, chapters must complete the following steps. SMRP will send a forming chapter $500 of seed money upon completion of steps one and two. An additional $500 and confirmation of affiliation are distributed to the forming chapter after all four steps are complete.
1. Establish a permanent address (P.O. Box is recommended)
2. Open a chapter bank account and send a voided check with routing information to SMRP
3. Complete form SS-4 at www.irs.gov to apply for a Federal Tax ID number
4. Apply for your state's Articles of Incorporation as a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization
Chapter Formation Resources
Presentation for Initial Interest Meeting
Contact SMRP Headquarters for more information:
800-950-7354 or [email protected]